KINGSTON TWP. – A Wilkes-Barre man will face trial in Luzerne County Court for attempting to kill a woman in July.
Charles David Harris, 24, appeared for a preliminary hearing before District Judge James Tupper in Kingston Township on Friday and agreed to the information listed in the criminal complaint filed by the state police at Wyoming.
Tupper forwarded charges of criminal attempt to commit criminal homicide, aggravated assault, recklessly endangering another person and former convict not to own a firearm to trial.
Harris is accused of shooting Samantha Banellis, 21, twice in the back in front of her father’s home on Main Street, Jenkins Township, on July 31, according to the criminal complaint. Banellis survived her injuries.
Banellis was shot with a .45-caliber handgun. Police said a ballistics test matched the firearm to a deadly shooting later in the day in Franklin Township.
Police accused Harris’ girlfriend, Patricia Leigh Stark, 24, of shooting Cari L. Chapman, 22, and Thomas Ohop, 18, in a remote area of Franklin Township.
Chapman was shot three times and died from her injuries. Ohop was shot twice and survived.
Luzerne County Coroner Dr. Jack Consalvo said Chapman was pregnant when she died.
Harris and Stark were arrested in Philadelphia on Aug. 14.
Stark faces trial on charges of criminal homicide, criminal homicide of an unborn child, criminal attempt to commit criminal homicide and aggravated assault.
WILKES-BARRE – Luzerne County President Judge Michael Conahan heard 41 child support contempt cases Thursday, jailing seven defendants and issuing warrants for eight others who failed to appear.
Defendants who were jailed:
• Matthew Sipler, East Jefferson Avenue, West Hazleton, $9,012.
• Michael A. Serpe Jr., West Pittston, $6,722.
• Michael Tucci Sr., West Dorrance Street, Kingston, $15,292.
• Jacquelyn Evans, Oxford Street, Hanover Township, $2,944.
• Robert Horn, Pond Creek Road, White Haven, $1,962.
• Daniel Etzle, Main Street, Avoca, $2,558.
• Daniel Jastrzebski, Main Street, Fern Glen, $436.
Defendants for who warrants were issued:
• Charles Kirkutis III, Sheridan Street, Wilkes-Barre, $1,083.
• Stephen Fisher, care of Pardee Street, Hazleton, $2,795.
• Angela Thomas, North Walnut Street, Luzerne, $8,118.
• Michael A. Natt, East Third Street, Hazleton, $2,143.
• David J. Roberts, South Poplar Street, Hazleton, $639.
• Yusef Credle, High Street, Wilkes-Barre, $6,462.
• David Dickson Jr., South Memorial Highway, Trucksville, $18,661.
• David S. Kerr Sr., West Grand Avenue, Tower City, $883.